logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

tippex
#1 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 10:20:32 AM(UTC)
tippex

Groups: Member

Hi,

I have a couple of S3 buckets and when I use explorer for Amazon S3 to copy a file from my machine to the bucket I get the error "The remote server returned an error: (417) Expectation failed."

Probably something simple that I've missed but can;t see the woods from the trees atm.

Regards,
Tip.
Juli
#2 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 11:00:24 AM(UTC)
Juli

Groups: Member, Moderator

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Tip,

It seems you have the Squid proxy on your network configuration. The Squid proxy supports HTTP/1.0 that doesn't allow "Expect: 100-continue" header (related to HTTP/1.1).

Do you know what proxy and what version is used?

The Squid 2.7 seems to be configurable to allow this header by turning on "ignore_expect_100" option.

Read more details: http://www.squid-cache.o...onfig/ignore_expect_100/

Please let me know if it helped.

Thanks,
Juli, CloudBerryLab Team
drm200
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:46:17 AM(UTC)
drm200

Hi,

I've got a similar problem. I have two S3 buckets that I backup with Cloudbery Backup using one PC. One bucket updates just fine. I've made many backups of this bucket in the last two days ... all without error.

The other bucket continually responds: "The remote server returned an error: (417) Expectation failed.". When trying to run the backup, it seems that the correct files/size have been identified for backup ... but the backup returns this 417 error 100% of the time. I can also browse the files in this bucket without problem. If I go to the "working" bucket .. and add a file .. the backup works just fine.

I do not run a proxy ... but I am connected thru my hotels internet.

Any ideas? Why would one bucket work?
drm200
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:54:04 AM(UTC)
drm200

I want to add some additional information. The bucket that is working is configurred to backup using advanced mode and is encrypted.

The bucket that is not working and returns the 417 error is configured to backup using simple mode.

drm200
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:37:06 AM(UTC)
drm200

Some information regarding my 417 error:
I'm using Cloudberry Backup. I have one bucket that backs-up without problem. This bucket is configured in advanced mode with compression and encryption. I have a second bucket that is configured in simple mode with compression. This bucket repeatedly returns the 417 error when trying to backup for the last two days. It previously worked without problem.

I've tried to edit the back-up plan on this bucket and change it to advanced mode with compression ... but am unable to edit the plan because I also receive a 417 error when trying to save the backup plan. If I try to create a new backup plan I also get a 417 error.

Since, I also own a copy of Cloudberry explorer, I decided to see if I could sync the bucket with the 417 error with Cloudberry Explorer. Cloudberry Explorer was able to compare and sync this folder without problem! I then went back to Cloudberry Backup and tried to run the backup program again. Again it failed and returned the "(417) Expectation failed" error. I next ran my backup plan for the other bucket (the one that always works). Again this bucket completed the backup without problem.

I am not using a proxy. But I am in a hotel.

It is really bothersome that I am unable to create or modify my backup plans with Cloudberry Backup. It is also really bothersome that one backup plan fails with the 417 error while the other backup plan completes without problem. It is strange that Cloudberry Explorer is able to sync the folder that fails with Cloudberry Backup.
Juli
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:44:21 AM(UTC)
Juli

Groups: Member, Moderator

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Thanks for the details.
Please send the diagnostic log using Send button in Tools | Diagnostic Log. The logs will be sent automatically to our support system so that we can diagnose the issue.
IP
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:16:22 AM(UTC)
IP

Groups: Administration, Member, Moderator

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi drm200,

The hotel network might be using proxy for external connections (it's usually made to limit internet access for users).

Could you check if the backup account that works has SSL turned on? Open your account settings and click "Advanced settins", there will be Use SSL checkbox.
If using SSL works, try this for another account (see below for detailed explanations)

If it doesn't help, would you mind sending us diagnostic logs? Open Tools-->Diagnostic Log--> click "Send to support". The logs will be sent us automatically.

The details:
A proxy server might not support "Expect: 100-Continue" header (either because it doens't support HTTP 1.1, or for some other reasons). In this case it returns the HTTP 417: Expectation failed error.
(The proxy response might also contain an HTML page that may describe in details what is wrong. This response should be saved in our diagnostic logs.)

Both our Backup and Explorer send HTTP "Expect: 100-Continue" header only for upload operations. For download operations this header is not sent. Your sync operation in Explorer might use only downloads, and therefore finished successfully.
Another reason why sync may work (and why one of backup accounts works) is a using of SSL. Once the SSL connection is established, the encrypted data transfer is on affected by proxy, and thus it works.

Sincerely,
IP
CloudBerry Lab
drm200
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:29:37 AM(UTC)
drm200

I checked for SSL. The account that was getting the 417 error was not set up with SSL. After setting SSL, I no longer get the 417 error and am able to backup without problem. The problem is resolved.

A few other comments:
While I was getting the 417 error, I was examining my port connections to see if there was anything different. I noticed that the account that was getting the 417 error kept connecting to this address during the attemt to backup: http 128.30.52.37:80 hans-moleman.w3.org:80. When I closed Clouberry Backup the connection was disconnected. If I restarted the backup plan the connection was re-established. The account that was working (not getting the 417 error) never opened a connection to this account. The other thing I noticed is that all the connections for the account getting the 417 error were using http and not https.

I then blocked ip 128.30.52.37 using my hosts file. No connections are now made. This did not disrupt my ability to backup in the account that was working.

Why is Cloudberry connecting to hans-moleman.w3.org? What information is being sent there? Why are the connections using HTTP? Do I need to unblock this connection in my hosts file? (I'm suspecting that this connection is being made to send some sort of error report .. but since I've blocked the IP nothing is being sent).

drm200
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:56:52 AM(UTC)
drm200

Followup report. The problem is not entirely resolved. I no longer get the error when backing up the buckets. However, I am still unable to edit or create a new backup plan. When I get to the edit page "I want to receive notification email when backup completes ... and click on "Next" I get an error "The request failed with HTTP status 417: Expectation failed

I get this error only if I have the checkbox "I want to receive notification email" checked. If it is not checked, I am able to complete the backup plan without problem.

So, I am not able to select the email notification option for some reason. I am also concerned that Cloudberry is communicating via HTTP and not HTTPS.