Secure information infrastructure is a crucial component for the success of modern business. Previously, we have considered general ways of protecting against ransomware and how to proactively defend data with backups.
However, there is more obvious way of protection.
In this article, we consider offers for Managed Service Provider (MSP) from antivirus companies and discuss most valuable criteria in choosing complex anti-virus solution.
Antiviruses for MSP
There are many important things in anti-virus/anti-malware software for MSP companies, because a choice of an appropriate security tool affects company’s workflow.
Let’s consider most significant acceptance criteria:
- Anti-virus solution has to be flexible in a sense of payments. It is a crucial point that you can bill your customers on monthly basis and charge them only for actual using without a necessity of buying a full annual subscription. Management of huge amount of different annual licenses can be a quite painful task.
- Security software has to provide a reasonable protection on servers, endpoints, local networks and other levels. For example, endpoint solution has to be good in dealing with average malware similar to WannaCry. Coverage of most security levels by a single vendor give you an opportunity to build a consistent infrastructure. So, the more services your vendor provides, the better it for you.
- Diversity of administration options. For example, ability to integrate with different RMM solutions and APIs in case of custom management platform usage.
- Simplicity of routine operations like install/update/delete tasks of your antivirus programs. You don’t have to manage many antivirus instances directly in an ideal case. Many companies have trial periods for testing such actions and if you can test some aspects of security service - it’s always a good sign.
Internet market is flooded with many security solutions so we selected several noteworthy companies there: Trend Micro, ESET, BitDefender, Kaspersky, WebRoot.
Trend Micro – Convenient Management Platforms
Trend Micro offers suitable monthly “pay as you go” pricing model which provides more flexibility to users. Also, they provide specific tools for license and multi-tenant management.
The solution supports right out of the box the following integrations:
- Labtech RMMs
- Standard application deployment platforms, such as Odin and Appdirect
Trend Micro supports desktop Windows platforms, iOS and Android, cloud services such as Office 365, DropBox, SharePoint, OneDrive, Google Drive. But there is no support of Linux operating system.
ESET with Daily Billing
ESET offers unique pricing model with daily billing and monthly invoicing. It supports endpoint solutions for different platforms such as Windows, Linux, Android, Mac OS and provides single remote management console. Compatible with Kaseya, Labtech, ConnectWise, Autotask and TigerPaw.
There is Eset API for integration with your custom software. It is also has flexible license price: the more licenses you have sold, the lower price for each you can get. Your customers can also evaluate the product for free for 90 days.
BitDefender – Full-featured Solution
BitDefender charges on monthly basis and provides endpoint protection for Linux, Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android. Single console offers a broad range of administration operations and have the following integrations: ConnectWise, Kaseya, AWS, LabTech, N-Able, Naverisk and LogicNow. There is also support of major virtualization platforms, like Hyper-V, VMware, Citrix.
The vendor also has a good rating on av-test.org and good reputation level in security community. BitDefender has high protection level against zero-day exploits and provides phone support “MSP Hotline 24/7” for MSP companies.
Free 30-day trial version is also available.
Kaspersky as a Great Choice for a Big Companies
Kaspersky offers one of the most trusted security solutions with good rank for Linux, Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android platforms. It protects the data on all levels (user data, server data, e-mails, exploits, phishing, etc) and has single console for multi-tenant environments.There is integration support for IBM QRadar, HP ArcSight SIEM systems and popular RMM systems.
Kaspersky has quite simple pricing model with monthly billing average starting at 500 nodes.
Webroot – Good Endpoint Protection
Webroot provides endpoint protection only, thus suiting best for small MSP companies. Supported platforms are Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android – so, there is no Linux support. Separate Unity API (site, user, policy, group, endpoint, command managements) can help you with custom integrations implementation.
Threat history for particular single endpoint is presented, and the solution has a single console for multi-tenant environments.
Webroot integrates with Kaseya, Labtech, Continuum, with support of autotasks.
We have considered the most popular anti-virus solutions for MSP. The best solution have a broad range of administration options, flexible pricing model and strong protection against of malware of any kind. We suggest you evaluating the solutions by yourself during a free trial periods to check whether it fits your business’ needs.
If you have any questions left or can share some info about products reviewed – feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below!